RE:THiNK Shares Practical Advice, Challenges Assumptions for Independent Retailers to Win Customers in the Digital Age
New book reveals consumer shopping habits, provides 11 tactics to compete with big-box competition
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 9, 2015 — With the explosion of online shopping, a steady rise in mobile traffic to retail sites and the advent of social media, independent retailers are up against big-box competitors like never before. RE:THiNK: 11 surprising things you should do now to win retail customers in the digital age (Retailer Web Services, 2015) by Jennie Gilbert and James Kane Jr., provides practical, actionable advice grounded in the way consumers shop for durable goods today.
For durable goods independent retailers—especially those who sell furniture, appliances and mattresses—as well as any independent retailer struggling to remain competitive in today’s digital age, RE:THiNK discusses shopping habits obtained through proprietary research conducted with durable goods consumers across the country. A few of the book’s 11 surprising insights include:
- Hiding prices comes at a high price: While many independent retailers’ first instinct is to avoid publishing pricing online, RE:THiNK explains why including pricing information online is essential for success.
- The mobile consumer is on the rise: Just as mobile shopping surged on Black Friday with smartphones as the device of choice, the book explores the opportunities mobile presents for retailers and debunks the perceived threats.
- Your website is your front door: The book outlines the consumer buying cycle, and provides relevant data on Internet research as the “first step to purchase” and startling statistics on the number of sites consumers will visit when shopping for a new mattress, appliance or furniture.
“A great read for any retailer… if you implement just one idea successfully from this book, it will be well worth the ROI.” – Shama Hyder, bestselling author of The Zen of Social Media Marketing
“Prepare to look at digital with a new lens… a compelling, assumption-challenging read.”” – Todd E. Scott, Digital Retail Integration & Merchandising Manager, Electrolux Major Appliances
About the Authors
Jennie Gilbert is the Chief Operating Officer of Retailer Web Services, a company whose mission is to serve independent retailers and help them realize their dreams through the promise of technology. She has a deep understanding of the needs and potential of independent retailers through her direct involvement in providing software solutions and web services to more than 2,000 independent retailers throughout North America. She is a frequent speaker at durable goods retail conferences.
James Kane Jr., founder and CEO of Retailer Web Services, has pursued a singular goal for more than one decade: to help independent retailers realize their dreams through the promise of technology. His mission has resulted in two flagship products used by thousands of independent retailers of durable goods throughout North America: RetailDeck™ is the leading app for salespeople and has more than 5,000 unique users; WebFronts™ is the most widely-used web marketing solution, representing more than 2,000 brick and mortar stores online.
About the Publisher
Founded in 2006, Retailer Web Services (RWS) is a Scottsdale, Ariz.-based provider of proprietary e-commerce and other software solutions to help independent retailers achieve success. An authoritative source on durable goods product data and consumer purchasing habits, RWS serves more than 2,000 independent durable goods retailers across North America.
About the Book
- Title: RE:THiNK: 11 surprising things you should do now to win retail customers in the digital age
- Author: Jennie Gilbert & James Kane, Jr.
- Publisher: Retailer Web Services
- Publication: Aug. 3, 2015
- Price: $24.99; softcover
- ISBN-10: 0996407510
- ISBN-13: 978-0996407519
- Pages: 114
- Available: Amazon; e-reader versions available here